



Holly and I had a long weekend, so Holly was planning to visit her parents in Tyler and I was going to take Bryant to Breckenridge to hang out with Grandpa Gary (before the new baby gets here and rocks his world...again). Anyway, I got a call Thursday night from the caseworker. She said she was putting our names in for a 2 week old little girl. When this happens, our names go in the 'hat' with lots of other people. So, the night goes on and I didn't hear from her. The next morning I still didn't hear from her, so I emailed her. She calls me a couple of hours later and told me she was just about to email me and tell me that another family was chosen....when.....she got a call saying the first family that was chosen had fallen through. We were second in line. Now don't get me started about being second in line; I personally like to be first, but I'll take second in this case. So, now Holly and I have to go to a hospital in downtown Dallas to pick her up and to be 'trained'. We get there a little early and do some people watching. Wow.....are we blessed. That's all I can say. So, anyway, we finally head up to the nursery, and the nurse is feeding Ava (that's her name). ;) She has been drug exposed and has been in the hospital for about 3 weeks (yeah..we were told she was 2 wks and she is really 3 wks old). She did not sleep very well the first night. She was awake from 4 pm until about 11 pm when Holly finally got her to sleep. She has little tremors which are pretty similar to a startle reflex (but a little longer). This is from the drug exposure. When this happens, she wakes up and gets very cranky. Now, it's Sunday and she seems to be doing a little better. Holly and I are taking shifts at night to help her sleep and feed her when she wakes. She really is a beautiful baby girl. She has blondish colored hair and it looks wavy. She is a skinny little thing too. She weighs 7 lbs. so she is a pretty good size.

No comments:
Post a Comment